Confused About Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

It can be difficult to navigate the process of obtaining accommodation with NDIS funding. This article describes one type of accommodation subsidy known as Supported Independent Living or SIL.

Supported Independent Living funding pays for support professionals to assist NDIS participants in living independently at home. People who reside in Specialist Disability Accommodation in Melbourne or any other city, are also eligible for SIL support. A residence that is particularly created to help persons with disabilities through a shared supported accommodation arrangement is known as Specialist Disability Accommodation.

What is SIL?

SIL provides day-to-day help to persons with disabilities around the clock (24 hours). It can be beneficial if you need more assistance than your informal support network can supply and wish to improve your ability to live independently.


If you have SIL incorporated in your NDIS plan, you can obtain day-to-day assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week from:

  • Help with domestic activities such as cooking and cleaning
  • Participating in social and community activities
  • Personal hygiene
  • Traveling to and from appointments, as well as other duties

How does SIL funding work?

If you have SIL in your NDIS plan, you will get additional funds under’ Assistance in Daily Life.’ While officially a Core Support, you cannot access it through your flexible Core budget.

The quantity of SIL money provided by the NDIS is determined by how much assistance is necessary. The fee will be determined by the NDIS based on an estimate from a SIL provider and any accompanying documents, such as an Occupational Therapist’s (OT) report.

Support coordination is an essential element of obtaining SIL financing. Your Support Coordinator will assist you in exploring your housing objectives, locating and connecting you with the best SIL provider, and coordinating all of your supporting documents.

What is not covered by SIL?

Rent, board and housing, and other day-to-day living expenditures such as meals and activities are not included in SIL. It also excludes any capital expenditures related to a participant’s lodging. It also excludes utility expenses such as gas, water, and electricity. (From the NDIA Price Guide)


If a participant qualifies for SDA money (funding for Specialist Disability Accommodation), they will also be eligible for SIL funding.

When a participant lives in an SDA home, the SIL provider for that house delivers a quotation for each day of the week, depending on the participant’s support requirements.

Meals and Cooking

The majority of roommates like to plan, shop, prepare and dine together. They occasionally prefer to make a roster, and other times it’s a communal effort. Dietary restrictions and allergies are always taken into account. While assistance is always available, it is up to the roommates to make these decisions, not the support staff.

Household Activities

If the entire family goes out to do something, the assistance expenditures for that activity should be covered by Supported Independent Living funds.

If some household members wish to participate in an activity but others do not, the activity is unlikely to be supported by Supported Independent Living (SIL) funds. This is because the Supported Independent Living services are generally provided in the home, and if there are any roommates in the home, the support staff member must remain there.

Empowered Liveability has been providing different services such as complete disability Housing solutions in Perth and specialist disability accommodation in Perth, as well as delivering safe and secure housing plans. Please contact our 24/7 accessible support at

1300-974-912 or for further details.