Difference between Supported Independent Living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)

If you’re searching for a place to stay, there are a variety of housing alternatives and resources to explore, depending on your specific circumstances. The NDIS funds two options: supported independent living and specialist disability accommodation. If one or both of these alternatives are part of your NDIS plan, it’s critical that you understand what to anticipate from your accommodation assistance.

What Exactly is SIL (Supported Independent Living)?

Supported Independent Living (SIL) is a term that refers to assistance with or supervision of everyday duties to improve an individual’s abilities and allow them to live as independently as possible. If you have a handicap and are unable to live alone or with your family, SIL offers you the option to live in a shared house and receive the help you require.

Challenge Community Services’ SIL services include shared houses with three to five bedrooms, and clients are matched with persons of similar ages and interests. It’s a chance to get the help you need, gain independence, and meet new people.

SIL residents get daily assistance with duties like cleaning, cooking, social and medical needs, banking, food shopping, appointment attendance, and personal care (such as showering and dressing).

What Exactly is SDA (Specialized Disability Accommodation)?

Specialist Disability Accommodation (or SDA) is housing for those with significant support or severe functional impairments requiring specialised housing options. The term “SDA” refers to a person’s house, apartment, or unit. SDA money goes for bricks and mortar of the house where the supports are offered, not the services themselves.

Depending on their individual requirements, occupants will either live independently in their house or with others. They will also be able to select housing options that are most suited to their specific needs.

Only a tiny percentage of participants with extremely high support requirements who fulfil specified qualifying criteria are eligible for funding under the NDIS. SDA money is meant to pay any disability-related housing expenses that are above and beyond the normal price of housing, but it does not apply to one-on-one support services.

So, What Exactly is the Distinction Between SIL & SDA?

SDA can be specially created housing for persons with high needs or adapted existing housing in a location that allows the housing member to access complicated or expensive assistance that lets them live independently.

SIL, on the other hand, refers to the onsite support and daily living services that assist house members in developing the skills they need to live as independently as possible.

SDA and SIL will be reimbursed separately in your plan if you require both specially built or adapted housing and daily living support. You will have more options because you will be able to live in housing that is appropriate for your requirements and will have access to the SIL supports of your choice.

Because the financing is split, you can change your support services without having to leave your SDA-funded housing. You’ll have to reapply for SDA financing if you decide to relocate.

Empowered Liveability has been providing different services such  specialist disability accommodation in Melbourne. ensuring safe and secure housing plans. Please contact our 24/7 accessible support at admin@empoweredliveability.com.au or call now at 1300-974-912.